Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Chapter Eight


The morning after the party, I was on cloud nine. How could a small town girl like me get lucky enough to date a big time celebrity like Matthew? Today was the big date that Matthew had been so secretive about the night before. Matthew told me he needed to stay home and arrange a few things but he had the morning all planned out for me. First, I spent the morning at the spa downtown where I had a steam bath, a Swedish massage, and a seaweed facial. I had never been so pampered in my entire life. The staff treated me like royalty. I could get use to this life.


Next, I headed over to Barney's to visit Lola again. I wish I could say it was a happy visit but it wasn't. The restrictions on the new clothes I could purchase this time were even more strict then the last time. Skirts had to go past the knees and I wasn't allowed to try on any shirts that showed my shoulders, back, or midriff. It was 98 degrees outside and I pined for a pair of designer cut off denim shorts but Lola wouldn't have it. I settled for the coolest outfit I could find, which ended up being a cap sleeve top and some light jeans. I wouldn't be caught dead in a tea length skirt.


After Lola rang me up I decided to question her. I asked her about the new clothing specifications but she was very reluctant to give me a direct answer. "This is my career," she explained. "Matthew is my best client and the reason I am able to stay in business. Do you understand?" she asked. I nodded. I did understand. These were Matthew's rules, not hers. If I went home and complained to Matthew about the clothing restrictions then he would fire Lola for telling me it was his idea. I shook Lola's hand and gave her a promising smile. I wouldn't do anything to hurt her or her business. Lola looked relived as she sent me on my way with my new clothes.


Matthew picked me up at Barney's and drove me to an overlook at the top of the mountain. The view spanned all of Bridgeport and it was absolutely breathtaking! The gentle rainstorm earlier we had that afternoon created a beautiful rainbow which evenly touched both ends of the city. This was truly the most beautiful place in the world.


Matthew looked nervous as held my hands. We watched the magnificent sunset over the city. The moment was so surreal. It was like a dream. I knew Matthew had brought me up here for a purpose and I was pretty sure I knew what it was. I was almost positive he was going to ask me to move in with him. I had already canceled my return flight and I didn't have a place to stay lined up.


Finally, the time came. Matthew leaned over and whispered in my ear that he didn't want me to leave. He wanted me to stay in Bridgeport with him.


"What I'm about to say sounds crazy," he paused for a moment, "no...it is crazy but it just feels so right. Everly, from the time I first saw you I fell in love. I knew you were the one I wanted to settle down with. I know it's crazy and people will say it's too soon but just think...just think about how great it would be."


 "Matthew," I interrupted. "Yes! I would love to move in with you! I've been thinking about it for a while now. We just have this connection and we get along so great. I know my friends and family are in Appaloosa but my heart is here. I want to stay."  


"I...I'm not asking you to move in with me Everly," Matthew said. My heart felt like it had been ripped into shreds. Matthew saw the look of panic in my face and he put his hands on my shoulders. "No...that's not what I meant. I mean, of course I want you to move in with me but that's not why I brought you here today."


Before I had a chance to respond, Matthew got down on one knee. I froze. This was not happening.


Matthew reached into the pocket of his jacket and retrieved a little black box.


He opened the box, revealing the contents. Inside was the biggest diamond engagement ring I had ever seen in my entire life. It was a 10.73 carat cushion cut diamond. "Matthew...we've only known each other for six days," I reminded him. "Everly, this is so much better then you just moving here. I want you know that I'm yours forever. This is what I want," Matthew said, still perched on his knee.


"Six days..." was all I could manage to say as he slid the ring on my finger. It looked heavy but it was surprisingly light and it fit perfectly. "Who's to say that it won't work out?" Matthew asked me. "People that have been married for 30 years get divorced. This feels right. This is right. It doesn't have to be right for anybody else but us. Don't you think so?" I paused, staring at the ring. "Kylie will never understand," I said. Matthew paused. "Does this mean we're engaged?" he asked hopefully.


"Yes," I said. "It means we're engaged," I continued with the biggest smile on my face. I gasped as I looked down at the ring and the reality of the situation sunk in for me. "We're engaged!" I shouted.


Matthew stood up and wrapped me in his arms. "Yes," he repeated. "We're getting married," and he scooped me in his arms and spun me around gleefully.


We stayed at the overlook until the sun set in the night sky and Bridgeport lit up like a Christmas tree. As we kissed over the beautiful backdrop I realized I was living in a fairy tale. I was about to get my happily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment