Monday, May 12, 2014

Chapter Five



The next morning when I woke up, Matthew was not in bed. I got up and took a quick shower, wondering if Matthew had already left for work. I went downstairs and found him hovering over the stove flipping strawberry pancakes. He looked at me and smiled. "Good morning! Are you hungry?" He asked. He looked refreshed and ready to start the day. I wondered how he could drink that much and act so chipper in the morning. I hadn't looked in the mirror yet but I felt like I was hit by a truck. We ate the pancakes and they were delicious. Was there anything he couldn't do?



We finished eating and Matthew asked if I had a second to talk. We wondered into the entryway. He looked hesitant and fear crept into my heart. I was sure this had to do with last night. "Please don't take this the wrong way. You look amazing in anything you wear but I couldn't help but notice your wardrobe selection is pretty limited." I looked down, feeling embarrassed that I was wearing the same outfit again. He gently reached for my hand. "Please don't feel bad. I have a surprise for you." Matthew reached into the pocket of his robe and handed me a piece of paper with an address on it. "I have to get ready for work now but I trust you will make it there ok?" He asked. I nodded, still cringing with embarrassment. "Great" he said and gave me a quick kiss on the forhead before heading upstairs to get ready for work.



I pulled up to the address on the paper and read the sign. "Barney's Salon and Tattoo" I muttered to myself. I got out of the car and went inside where I was greeted by a stylist named Lola who stated she had been expecting me all morning.



Lola ushered me into her office talking 100 miles an hour. Something about new clothes, perhaps some jewelry, and maybe a hair cut. I finally understood why I was here. Matthew wanted me to have a makeover. I walked over to the clothing rack and flipped through a few price tags. The clothes were beautiful but I could never afford them. "I'm so sorry" I interrupted Lola "I don't think I can afford your business." Lola looked stunned. "My dear, you misunderstand. Matthew's billing information is on file. He called ahead yesterday and asked us to take great care of you." I couldn't believe what she was saying. She smiled and resumed chatting at an extremely fast pace while attacking my body with a measuring tape.



After a while I really got into the makeover and started letting Lola know some of my likes and dislikes. I gave her an idea of what my style was like. She even let me browse through the racks and choose a few outfits to try on.



I found a beautiful leather mini that fit me perfectly. Lola looked conflicted. "Oh...I'm sorry dear that one is not for sale" she said with a sad smile. Confused, I went back into the dressing room to try on the next selection.



I took off the skirt and threw on a halter top in a beautiful peach color. The summers here were hot so the halter made perfect sense. Lola told me it was not figure flattering and suggested a different top in coral. The top she chose was also nice so I agreed to it.



I got a few outfits, some designer jeans, a beautiful cocktail dress, and a new swimsuit. I really didn't need a new swimsuit though. I loved the one I brought with me and I thought the new swimsuit covered too much. The Bridgeport summers were hot and I would need a two piece. I tried to tell that to Lola but insisted Matthew would like it.



I stood in the mirror while Lola checked out my purchases. I liked the new top but I was a little frustrated she didn't let me pick the clothes I wanted. It seemed like all the clothes that were too tight, short, or revealing were dismissed. Were those Matthew's instructions? Is that why Lola was always being so evasive about my clothing choices? I quickly brushed that thought aside. Lola was a professional and she was just doing her job.



I went back to Matthew's and waited for him to get home. While I was waiting I browsed through his bookshelf and picked up a book on making cocktails. I loved cooking so I decided to take a look at it.



The book was well used and had corners turned down to mark favorite recipes. For some reason, I was really into the book. The drinks were so bright and colorful. Maybe if I learned enough I could moonlight at a few bars to make some money so I could stay in Bridgeport. I hadn't really given much thought to whether I would stay or not after my vacation. I had to admit, I really loved it here. Maybe I should stay? The thought of not returning home made me miss Nancy.



I gave Nancy a quick call and filled her in on my trip so far, leaving out all the romantic details. We talked for a while and then I heard a loud crash in the background. "Oh sorry hun I have to go. The kids are destroying the house." We said our goodbyes and I looked at the clock. It was 8:30 pm. Matthew should have been home hours ago. I debated calling him but I didn't want to be "that girl". We weren't in a relationship and I didn't want to seem desperate. I was here to see the town so I decided to go out on my own.



I put on my new dress and headed out to town. I met a few new girls at a dance club and bar hopped with them the rest of the night. I didn't drink at all though. My body was still recovering from last night.



I got back to Matthew's at around 4:00 am and went upstairs to the bedroom. Matthew wasn't there. I did quick search of the house only to discover I was alone. I slipped into my pajamas and climbed into bed. I tried to wait up for him but eventually sleep overtook me.


No comments:

Post a Comment